Thursday, September 16, 2010

Food Inspiration, Design & Paperwork

For some reason, I find that many inspiring experiences are in nyc restaurants. Perhaps it's because I'm always looking to eat! For example, the doughnut plant (www.doughnutplant.com)... I love that one man's obsession with doughnuts has grown into this delicious little place in the lower east side. It's specialization on overdrive and a constant striving for perfection of a simple food. Similarly, I adore chikalicious (www.chikalicious.com). Every part of the experience is lovely, from the host in a bowtie (I love bowties) to the subtly tasty desserts served on delicate teacups and plates. I hope to emulate these sweet experiences by intensely focusing on one piece at a time to create a little bit of happiness!

Yesterday, I finished up the repeat of the hand-drawn print design for the lining of the bag. Also, I went to the the nyc small business services office (www.nyc.gov/html/sbs/html/home/home.shtml). This is such a great service in the city, and it's free! A nice man walked me through every form I need to fill out to get my business started in nyc. With his help, I will be a legal business this afternoon. He also offered advice on transitioning to an S corp, creating trademarks and copyrights, and importing raw materials.