Friday, September 17, 2010

What's in a Name


So, when I went to register my business in NY state, I discovered that all words used to name a business have to mean something in English or another language. AND you have to prove it by using google or wikipedia, which is kind of funny. Thank goodness I had my iphone on me. Proving that 'atelier' means studio or workshop in french was easy. Now, 'nunu' was a different story. I told the guy that nunu was my name - a silly nickname that I earned at Kellogg. He sighed and said that does not make it a real word. I couldn't really argue with that, so I googled nunu to see if it meant anything in any other language. I found out that in South African, it means crawling organism, such as a spider or worm. Gross, but I showed it to him as proof that it means something. I probably should have kept searching to see if there was anything better for 'nunu' in another language! On my business license, I had to write atelier = studio or workshop in french, nunu = insect in South African. This whole time, my friends who know me best have been calling me an gross little insect. Great. :)

In business news, my website, http://www.ateliernunu.com/ is up! It is a holding page that points you right back to this blog. Starting a business is defined by constant progress in baby steps. Today, I opened a business banking account as well; I will soon have checks with the name atelier nunu on them. On the design side, I reached out to a innovative fabric coating company in MN. Most coatings, such as those on LV and Goyard bags, are PVC-based, which is toxic to the environment and humans. This coating that I'm looking into is environmentally friendly and innovative; it is waterproof, abrasion resistant, lightweight, and stain resistant. It was even featured in the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum Extreme Textiles book. I hope the look and feel of this coating is as good as the technology so that I can use it on my bags. Will be chatting with them sometime next week.