Tuesday, April 26, 2011

working with a master craftsman

Making samples has been a very collaborative and educational process.  I am working with a talented craftsman, who has been handmaking bags for over 40 years.  I've learned very much from him, and it's been fun figuring out (and arguing about) what is possible and what is not.  With his expertise on what can be done with fabric vs leather, I have tweaked the styles, as seen on the tiny post-its, to increase the durability while maintaining the clean atelier nunu look.  I am purposefully posting the really small, ugly sketches so that the contrast with the beautiful bags (once they're made) is more extreme. :)  Actually, it's because I left the full sized, technical sketches with him.

He is currently passing down his skills by training his son.  I am trying to finagle my way into an apprenticeship, but I have to focus on one thing at a time!