Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ready, Set, Wait...

I have all the sketches and materials ready for sampling, except for the coated canvas. I am very impatient so waiting for the coating testing is killing me a little! The coating from last week adhered well to the cotton canvas, but it came out a bit "crunchy" which is not ideal for bags. So the testing continues in hopes that the resin can be tweaked to make it work.
In the meantime, I will try to focus on what is ready and prepare verbiage for the website. Also, I am very excited that in my downtime, I am going to take leathercrafting classess. By actually working and sewing leather with my own hands, I will learn more about the possibilities of construction and design to make the best bags. designers who can hand-make the items they produce tend to have an edge because they know all of the design possibilities and limitations. for example, oscar de la renta's sample makers said if necessary, he could make every single item by hand. that is pretty amazing and inspiring.